Questions to ask during the Interview
Below is a list of interview questions we have compiled…...Keep in mind some Managers are in a rush and very busy during the day. Go over and decide which questions are important to you. Try not to read directly from the list of questions, rewrite and narrow your questions down that best you can. This will show that you are prepared and serious about starting the assignment.
Questions you should consider asking about the FACILITY
- How many beds in the facility?
- Is this a trauma center? If so, what level?
- Is it a teaching facility?
- Is this a magnet facility?
- What services are available? (i.e.: Cath lab, open heart, NICU, PICU, L&D, pediatrics, X-ray, CT scan, MRI, pharmacy, radiology)
- Is staff parking provided? Is it free?
- Is there a certain scrub color?
Questions you should consider asking about ORIENTATION
- What type of orientation do you offer travelers?
- Is your orientation general or unit specific?
- Do you provide tests and study guides?
Questions you should consider asking about the POSITION
- What are the responsibilities of this position?
- Why are you hiring a traveler?
- What special skills are required for this job?
- What type of Computer Charting do you use?
Questions you should consider asking about the SCHEDULE
- What are the weekend and holiday requirements?
- What is the coverage, on call and overtime rules?
- How often is an assignment cancelled due to low census?
- How is scheduling done on the unit?
- How far in advance is scheduling arranged?
- If you need to request time off, during the interview is the perfect time to do so. Please let the Manager and your Recruiter that you are requesting time off.
Questions you should consider asking about FLOATING
- What is the floating policy for the unit?
- What units or facilities do you float to?
- Is orientation provided for float units?
Questions you should consider asking about the UNIT
- What is the patient population?
- What is the average length of stay?
- What is the nurse-to-patient ratio?
- How many travelers are on the unit?
- What experience do you have with travelers on the unit?
- Do you extend traveler assignments?
Questions you should consider asking about the STAFFING MIX
- Is a unit secretary available?
- Do you have CNA’s or Techs available?
- Do you have LPNs or is the staff all RNs? (If applicable)
- Do you have lab techs? Do they do all blood draws?
- Do you have EKG techs, respiratory techs and a transport team?
To encourage dialogue, interviewers will often ask open-ended questions. Instead of asking you what unit you last worked on, you may be asked to describe your last assignment or job. These are just a few questions you can ask during the interview. Good Luck!!